Hold the bread and butter please, I’d like a slice of deliciously SWEET, moist, fluffy cornbread that’s topped with salted butter and drizzled with a little more honey. Just so heavenly, right?
My favorite ways to enjoy cornbread include with my favorite turkey chili, with homemade sloppy joe meat served on top, or even with cheesy scrambled eggs + salsa + black beans. Or how about blueberry breakfast cornbread? Just the best.
There’s so many ways to serve it my beloved cornbread and thankfully, I’m finally serving you up the BEST CORNBREAD RECIPE! It’s so moist (I know we hate that word, but it truly is!), tender, fluffy, and surprisingly on the lighter side — meaning you should have at LEAST two slices. Thank me later and enjoy this recipe. Can’t wait to hear how you like it! xo.
Everything you need to make the best homemade cornbread
This easy cornbread recipe uses just 10 super simple ingredients and the result is out-of-this-world delicious. We’re talking super fluffy, perfectly moist cornbread that you’ll crave. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Flour: we’re using good old all purpose flour in this cornbread recipe.
- Yellow cornmeal: for that cornbread flavor, of course.
- Baking staples: you’ll also need some baking powder & salt so that the cornbread bakes up nice and fluffy.
- Eggs: you’ll need two eggs in this recipe.
- Sweetener: feel free to use pure maple syrup or honey to naturally sweeten the cornbread.
- Yogurt: the secret ingredient for making moist cornbread? Greek yogurt! I like to use whole milk greek yogurt but a low fat yogurt would also work. If you’re out of yogurt, feel free to use milk instead.
- Milk: feel free to use regular milk or your favorite dairy free milk.
- Butter: extra delicious cornbread requires some melted butter. Vegan butter will also work.
How to make gluten free cornbread
Good news, this homemade cornbread can easily be made gluten free! Just swap the all purpose flour for oat flour or gluten free all purpose flour. Check out my delicious gluten free cornbread muffins, too.
Can I make this dairy free?
Yep! Feel free to use a dairy free milk, dairy free yogurt and vegan butter instead of regular butter. If you’re out of yogurt, try replacing it with milk of choice.
Can I make it vegan?
I haven’t tested this cornbread with an egg substitute, but I think flax eggs should work; the cornbread just won’t be as fluffy. Don’t forget to be sure to use maple syrup as honey isn’t considered vegan. Be sure to also make the dairy free substitutions mentioned above, and let me know how it goes!
How to make cornbread from scratch
The best part about this cornbread recipe? It’s SO easy to make. You’ll need two bowls and just 30 minutes:
- Prep your pan. Feel free to use a 9×9 inch square pan (or an 8×8 inch pan will work), 9-inch cake pan or 9-inch skillet and grease it with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the dry. Add all of your dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk them well.
- Mix the wet. In a separate bowl mix together all of your wet ingredients besides the melted butter until well-combined.
- Make your batter. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir together until your batter forms. Stir in the butter last and be sure to not overmix!
- Bake & enjoy! Bake your cornbread for 18-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm with butter & honey!
Make this cornbread recipe your own
This cornbread recipe is a great base for adding your fav mix-ins and flavors. Just mix these right into the batter and bake it up! Here’s what I suggest:
- Jalapeno cheddar: 1 diced jalapeno (plus some slices for the top) + 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Blueberry: 3/4 cup fresh blueberries (adding a few chopped up maple breakfast sausages would also be delicious!)
- Honey bacon: 1/2 cup chopped bacon (and use honey in the batter)
- Cheesy garlic: 3 cloves minced garlic + 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Green chile corn: add 1 (4 oz) can drained green chile + 1/2 cup thawed frozen corn + optional 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Breakfast cornbread: fold in 1/2 cup chopped or crumbled cooked breakfast sausage
- Cranberry: 1/2 cup dried cranberries
How to make cornbread muffins
Great news! You can easily make this recipe into the most fluffy moist cornbread muffins! Here’s how to do it:
- Make the batter as directed in the recipe, then evenly divide the batter into a muffin pan lined with muffin liners that have been greased with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Serve warm with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy!
What to serve with the BEST cornbread
Besides enjoying an afternoon snack with some butter & honey, try this cornbread with these delicious recipes:
Storing & freezing tips
To store: store leftover cornbread in an airtight container at room temp for a day, and then transfer it to the fridge.
To freeze: let the cornbread cool completely, slice if you’d like, and freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, thaw the cornbread slices at room temp or reheat in the microwave.
I hope you love this fluffy moist cornbread recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment & a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
The Best Fluffy Moist Cornbread Ever
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
The best cornbread recipe ever! This fluffy, moist cornbread is easy to make in just 30 minutes with under 10 ingredients. It has the perfect amount of sweetness and will be your new go-to side dish for any meal. You’ll never need another homemade cornbread recipe after this one!
- Dry ingredients:
all purpose flour
- Wet ingredients:
eggs, at room temperature
pure maple syrup or honey
plain yogurt (a whole milk greek yogurt works great!)
milk of choice (cow’s milk, oat, cashew or almond milk are great options!)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9×9 inch pan or 9 inch skillet or 9 inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a separate large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: eggs, maple syrup/honey, yogurt and milk. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir with a spoon until it just begins to combine, then stir in the melted butter until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.
Bake for 18-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Serve warm with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey!
To make these dairy free: use a dairy free milk, dairy free yogurt and vegan butter instead of regular butter.
To make gluten free cornbread: feel free to make this with oat flour or a gluten free all purpose flour.
To make cornbread muffins: divide between 12 greased muffin liners in a muffin pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
Servings: 12 servings
Serving size: 1 slice
Saturated fat: 2.6g
Recipe by: Monique Volz of Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eat